Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Brian Ottomas Ch. 15 Still Winter...

In the weeks that followed Heath kept his own council. His sisters still did not know about his true parentage and he felt that way he was better able to keep his relationship with them the same. It snowed again and they had fun playing in it because a "snow day" vacation was issued.


Brook was with Meadow the day she went into labor and, although she was shaken seeing her mother in obvious pain, she was also very helpful. She ran to get the diapers to put on the babies' little naked bodies--they were twins! Brian came in during the birth and took the first infant in his arms when Meadow realized she was having a second baby right then and there. They named the boy North Tyler and the girl Raine Samantha. There were now six children in the Ottomas family and they were really beginning to feel the need for a bigger home. They had to keep the twins cribs and a changing table in the master bedroom. If they'd even been able to fit them in the nursery Rocky would have kept the twins awake and vice versa. The new house could not be finished soon enough. They hoped with the spring--if it ever came--they'd be able to move.




Meadow really had her hands full with a toddler and two small newborns, but Brian helped when he was home and the two oldest children were especially responsible. In a large family everyone has to do their part and they both helped with chores and keeping an eye on Willow and Rocky. So it wasn't as hard on Meadow as it could have been. She laughed when she remembered how she used to be afraid she would never have any children.



Meadow was helping Willow with her homework one night when she could hear Brian with Rocky downstairs. It was very quiet in the house. She smiled; he was softly singing Paul Simon's "St. Judy's Comet" to Rocky in his clear tenor voice, trying desperately to get him to go to sleep. He used to sing that same song to Heath back in their first house. Brian may not have been "famous" but other than that the words fit perfectly.

St. Judy's Comet
 
"Little sleepy boy
Do you know what time it is?
Well, the hour of your bedtime's
Long been past.

And though I know you're fighting it
I can tell when you rub your eyes
You're fading fast
Fading fast.

Won't you run come see St. Judy's Comet
Roll across the skies
And leave a spray of diamonds
In its wake
I long to see St. Judy's Comet
Sparkle in your eyes
When you awake
When you wake

Little boy
Won't you lay your body down.
Little boy
Won't you close your weary eyes
Ain't nothing flashing but the fireflies

Well I sang it once
Then I sang it twice
I'm gonna sing it three times more
I'm gonna stay 'til your resistance
Is overcome
'Cause if I can't sing my boy to sleep
Well it makes your famous daddy
Look so dumb, look so dumb. 

Won't you run come see St. Judy's Comet
Roll across the skies
And leave a spray of diamonds 
In it's wake
I long to see St. Judy's Comet 
Sparkle in your eyes
When you awake
Oh, when you wake" 

 

Karen Burb was a close friend to both Brook and Willow and they often had her as a guest at supper. Heath had a little crush on her, in fact, but these days he had crushes on at least two or three different young ladies; he'd finally discovered girls.



His relationship with his mother was a bit strained now, although he acted the same toward his father. Brian finally asked him to sit down with him so they could have a talk. Heath was reluctant but obedience to his father was deeply ingrained in him and he didn't argue. They sat out in the living room and Brian explained to him how he'd come to stay with Meadow and how excited they'd been at Heath's birth. They'd fallen in love by that time and married a few months later. Heath had heard this from Meadow but Brian's narrative was from a different viewpoint and impressed him much more.


"How about we get something to eat and talk a little more?" Brian suggested.
After they'd had cold roast beef sandwiches and each gobbled a piece of blueberry pie they cleared the table and then sat back down there. Brian said that he realized it was hard for Heath to process all this new information.

"I really do know how you're feeling, but I'd like to see you be a little more responsive to your mother. She deserves your love and your respect, even if you disagree with her."

Heath became defensive at this point,

"You don't know how I feel! At least you know Poppa is your daddy and he knows--"

"No, son, I don't know that. Because Poppa is not my biological father, either."

Heath was plainly startled,

"Poppa's not your real daddy?"

Brian smiled,

"That's an interesting question. Does he act like he's my daddy? Are we close? Do I respect him immensely?"

"Yes," Heath said slowly, he remembered the great affection--on both sides--that was always in evidence when Brian was with Pete, "I know you love Poppa. And he loves you."

"I consider Poppa my real daddy, but someone else was my biological father. He gave me a talent for music and some physical characteristics and that is all."

Brian went on to explain that the information he was giving to Heath was private, and then proceeded to tell him his own own story and how upset he'd been when he'd found out the truth. How he'd been angry with his mother and hurt. Also, that he would never be able to talk to his real father because they waited too long to try to contact him. How, even though Brian loved Pete so much, he was curious and would have liked to know Frank Newbie. He even showed Heath the pictures of Frank.

There was a long pause as Heath thought over all the things he'd learned today and weeks before. Up until now he'd always believed adults knew all the answers and didn't make mistakes, but it sure looked to him like some of the adults he knew had messed up things royally. Finally he spoke,

"I guess I should let Momma tell Mr. Hammond, then? I mean, in case, he might want to see me."

"That's up to you, but I personally think it's worth considering."

Heath thought some more and then as they stood up he worked up his nerve.

"Daddy?" he came around the table to stand in front of Brian, "I just want you to know that I..I want to be just like you when I'm a man...if you don't mind."

Brian's eyes filled and he hugged Heath, dropping a kiss on the top of his head.

"You honor me, little buddy. I know you'll be a much better man than I, but I'm happy that you feel this way. I love you."

Hot tears ran down Heath's cheeks as he clung tightly, burying his face against Brian's chest,

"Oh, Daddy, I love you, too! I promise I'll make you proud someday."

Brian cradled the back of Heath's head.

"Son, you make me proud now. You've made me proud every day of your life; I know you always will."

"He's growing up straight and strong," Brian told Meadow later, "And he's ready to meet his father."

Meadow hugged him,

"You are the reason he's straight and strong, my love."

Then she shrugged and shivered at the same time,

"Now we have to see what Lonnie will say."

That night when Brian got home from work it was late, but Meadow was up walking the floor with North. Brian went to get Raine when she started crying minutes after he walked into the house. Both of the twins were having problems with colic.

"I'm going to call Lonnie and ask him to meet me somewhere public in the next week or two so I can tell him the truth," Meadow said.

"You can do it, sweetheart. I know it's going to be hard, but you can do it."


Heath spent a lot of time daydreaming up in his room these days. He had much to consider. In addition, his new interest in the opposite sex had led him to choose a favorite for his most secret and intense crush; Maddie Candeloro. He thought she was the most beautiful girl at Pleasantview Elementary; even if she was a grade behind him. But he wondered how he could let her know--or even if he should. He really had no idea...




4 comments:

Sovereign Dark said...

It seems Heath's talk with Brian had settled him quite a bit. That's wonderful. Confirmation from his daddy, as well as hearing of Brian's own similar situation was the best thing for him, I'm sure. Curious how things will go with Lonnie...Oh and congrats to the family on their new twins. That's a lot of little ones in a single household. This family just keeps getting larger and larger all the time. ;D

Lorelei said...

Yeah, 8 people on a lot is exhausting lol I did not plan on 8, now Brian and Meadow can't even go out to dinner, let alone a vacation. His parents can't stay there now. Only 8 peeps to a lot. :(

Unknown said...

Oh wow, six children!

So glad Brian had a good talk with Heath and I hope everything goes okay with Lonnie. :)

MrsSimGirl said...

Awwwwwwww!!!!!!! you made me cry .. just a bit. That was great. I love that they can relate on this. Now and in the future